Glithcing

ConqueringStuff

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
moo

the cd is perfectly unscratched and i got the newest direct X 8.1
i cant get windows XP..well ive tried but my crap hole of a computer only has 32 RAM and XP requires 64! and so now ill nead to borrow windows 98 from a friend or ect..
thanks for all your time/help

g'day

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
Im not trying to go off topic, but I'm having a major problem with Broodwar, I have Direct X 8.1, my CD is in semi-perfect condition, and I can run regular StarCraft with no problem.
Heres what the game does:

-I put in the Broodwar CD and it my D Drive makes alot of strange noises
-After about 2 minutes of making the noises my comp completly freezes

I think the problem is that the D Drive is not spinning the CD fast enough therefore it won't read it, but I can't find out how to change the speed :mad:
The lead problem could be that I had a major virus infection, I had 410 infected files and 17 different viruses, and I want to warn any KaZaA user's that there is bad virus that distracts some weak anti-virus programs like AVG and whatever else you can download for free and while it distracts the weak program it creates a back door and really messes up your computer. I have Norton now and thank GOD!!

Shadow264

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Re: LOL

Originally posted by fend0r
You're serious? You do have Windows ME?

If so then I'd definately blame it on that. Windows ME has more bugs than Shrimp's dirty clothes bin!

Good Point. I had windows ME. Screwed me over too many times. i ditched it. WINDOWS ME SUCKS! www.fucl<microsoft.com
pretend that's a k ^

Shadow264

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by SmashBros.Pro
Im not trying to go off topic, but I'm having a major problem with Broodwar, I have Direct X 8.1, my CD is in semi-perfect condition, and I can run regular StarCraft with no problem.
Heres what the game does:

-I put in the Broodwar CD and it my D Drive makes alot of strange noises
-After about 2 minutes of making the noises my comp completly freezes

I think the problem is that the D Drive is not spinning the CD fast enough therefore it won't read it, but I can't find out how to change the speed :mad:
The lead problem could be that I had a major virus infection, I had 410 infected files and 17 different viruses, and I want to warn any KaZaA user's that there is bad virus that distracts some weak anti-virus programs like AVG and whatever else you can download for free and while it distracts the weak program it creates a back door and really messes up your computer. I have Norton now and thank GOD!!

funny thing. same thing happens to me. (except sometimes it don't freeze) also i got a virus before and i just reformatted my computer. and one more thing. after i installed direct x 8.1, my starcraft went SO DAMN EXTREMELY SLOW! i would continously lag out and drop. i think direct x may have something to do with it....

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
To: SmashBros.Pro and Shadow264

The problem isn't very uncommon then, I have similar problems.

The best thing you can do is configure your computer to disable "Autorun" features. That way when you put in your CD, your computer won't lock up. Another way you could prevent Autorun from initializing is opening a program like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) that disables CD Autorun features while it's open. That way you don't have to reconfigure your computer, and it's a great program for ripping CDs.

My CD is less than perfect as well, and whenever I play a game, if I have the music turned on, it'll eventually start to skip and play the same 4 seconds over and over. The only real solution short of buying another CD, is hitting Ctrl+M while you're in the game. That disables music. If that doesn't work, try hitting Ctrl+S as well. That disables sound effects.

As for those backdoors... get something like BlackICE Defender or a good firewall. They block unsolicited traffic (hackers) and are just a good idea in general if you're downloading from Kazaa. Kazaa seems to be as bad as AOL was awhile ago, being virus city.

ph0ng

Member!
Reaction score
Website
esponge.cjb.net
Well Win XP has NFTS file structuring (while we're bullsh!tting ;) )
and I have an old a§s Acer computer with 500 mhz proccesor that has Win ME, and then I have a brand new 1.8 Ghz Dell, that has Win XP.... I've used every op system since 3.1 (3.1,95,98,2k,ME,XP) And so far I would have to say the best to work with is definately 98; however, I have never had a problem with ME, maybe since we're on this converstation, and trust me I'm not flaming you, or putting you on the spot, but could you tell me some bugs with ME or XP (mainly ME) because I would like to know, bc maybe my comp has fuxed up and I just blamed it on user error (I'm pretty suave with a computer, but am no genius ;) ) If you could fill me in I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Zmoney

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
lol u wana here my broodwar problem i cant get it to work on bnet
i have used it befor the i tool it off for some unknown reason when i went to put it back on i downloaded perfectly but when i got to broodwar after i dled the patch it wouldnt fully dl but sc normal works i dont get it then i makes me uninstall and do it over again i dont know what to do i wana play bwar bad but i cant get it to work

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
ph0ng:
As far as problems with ME, I've heard complaints about it from certain programs to cause the computer to spontenously shut down, log off, or f*ck up the computer registry.

The biggest complaint is just software incompatability. It was Microsoft's attempt at making money between the time of release of Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 2000.

This isn't true with every person that owns a copy of Windows ME, but the problems reported on it have come in such large numbers, that any computer technician will cringe upon merely hearing the words "Windows" and "ME" in the same sentence.

What sort of problems do you have though ph0ng?

SimplePlanROCKS:
I need to know your operating system, and computer specs. If you don't know them, you can find out by right-clicking on your 'My Computer' icon and going to 'Properties' (assuming you use a Windows-based operating system). On the screen that comes up, you should see your CPU Internal Clock Speed, Version of Windows (along with Service Pack number if any), and how much ram. If you've installed any video cards, or any other programs recently, as well as telling me what kind of activity you do online, that would help.

A lot of the time people will download virii and never know it. Most of the ones coming out now are either polymorphic or stealth.

To Anyone:
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS IS WELL WORTH THE EXTRA $30 YOU PAY OVER ANY GENERIC VIRUS SCANNER PROGRAM!!!

... I can't seem to stress that enough to people when I service their computers.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
You service computers? Cool! How long you been at it? And whats your age? If you wish to tell me. I'm just a curious young 15 year old.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
I'm 19, and I've been repairing my own computers since I was 14. However if you mean professionally, I'm going into my second year of repairing other people's computers for pay. I do hardware configuration from building custom PCs to installing ISA devices, and software configuration from reinstalling operating systems, to data recovery, PC security configuration, and anti-virus programming.

Why? You planning on joining the high-stress profession of the 'under appreciated computer techie'? :p

Towelie

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a custom computer with:

WinXP Professional
P4 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.3Ghz
DVD-Rom
CD-RW
ATI Radeon 9700 128MB AGP
Creative Audigy Platinum
120 GB Maxtor 7200

My Broodwar still messes up. The bugs I have is when I go to create a game, I create it, then people join. While we are talking/downloading whatever, it says in white that my connection to battle.net was lost. Then I CAN still talk and all. I click GO then SC exits. I go back to battle.net create same game, click CREATE then the game starts off by going 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and then I'm all by myself.

Also, modem speed has very LITTLE to do with your connection to battle.net. It all depends on processor speeds, in general, if you run 56k with about 600mhz+ you will always have 2 green bars. This also depends on your internet service provider though. Running AOL which is patheticly slow gets 2 green bars on my comp with 56k. Now if you have a 90 Minimum req. and 56k you will have 6 red stars. 133 3/4 yellow. Duron processors you have 3.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Towelie,
I've had similar problems myself in creating games where that happens. The common variable in that is too many people join at the same time. Your connection gets flooded with so many ping requests, and hence you loose connection to battle.net. Yes, you can still chat with everyone because Battle.net is only a medium for gamers to find other gamers. Once they join your game, you are all on a private network (I'm not sure if it's IPX/SPX or TCP/IP). I'm not a programmer, but I assume you normally transmit data to b.net, but since you don't have connection directly to it, you get software conflicts and the game crashes...

My advice... hmm, don't buy such fast machines? lol. Everyone sees you have 1g in your game, so they all join at once. Find some way to underclock your CPU, take out some RAM maybe, or just make the game name "LT, wait 5 secs then join". Heh, I'm not too sure exactly what you need to do, but I'd say you're a victim of having a computer that's too fast for b.net. :D

New threads